ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 03-13-2003, 10:10 PM   #1
wildboar
..Pig Man Charade You are

What the h$%# is that sound?

Ok, I am pretty convinced now that my O/B sound is absolute crap on my P4S8X.

When I have the sound cranked up and I roll my (USB) MS Optical Mouse scroll wheel back and forth, I get an oscillation sound out of my speakers. Scroll up, pitch goes from low to high...scroll down, pitch goes from hi to low....

WTF....

Anybody else experience this?

Gag...the more I know this board, the more I hate it...

- Albert Einstein
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 03-13-2003, 10:24 PM   #2
dnottis

I had that problem before. Mine turned out to be the Antec power supply I was using. It had adjustable fan in it and when I would scroll the mouse it would cause the fan to spin up a nit faster so I heard a pitch that changed and it drove me nuts for about a week...I eventually tracked it to the power supply ( I thought it was the speakers initally) and bypassed the speed control on that fan.
Old 03-13-2003, 10:56 PM   #3
borodar
Resigned

jeez... fans were controled by scroll wheel of the mouse?! never heard something like that...

is that it, wildboar?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-14-2003, 09:06 AM   #4
wildboar

Well, I experimented with the situation last night and was not able to narrow it down. First of all, I don't have a "fan controlled" PSU, so that isn't a factor to consider. It is just a 350 Watt enlight....(i know, I know...)

I did some testing to make sure it wasn't due to my Linksey KVM. Disconnected my monitor and and mouse and hooked them up directly to the back plane of the box. Same situation. Oscillation sound...

I am going to pull out my old PS/2 Scroll Mouse and see if that has an impact. If it does, my feeling is that the C-Media is picking up some type of EMI signal off the board. Really, Really, Really starting to get annoyed with this P4S8X......

- Albert Einstein
Old 03-14-2003, 09:30 AM   #5
StefanPI

I had the same problem when scrolling with my logitech ps/2 wheelmouse in internet explorer. Saw a post (dont remember who) where you could disconnect the cd to sound cable but i never had time to try that i bought a sblive soundcard.

wildboars suggestion of emi interference with some part of the c-media codec sounds like a likely cause.

I also saw a post (still dont remember by whom ) who stated that the c-media was unstable and its frequency fluctuated heavily.
PC Radeon 9800 Pro
SB Audigy 2
Logitech Z-680
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 80GB
ZyXEL Prestige 645MP-A1 Adsl-modem

Yes i know, the little maggots are stomping all over my big Panzer IV tank.
Old 03-14-2003, 10:13 AM   #6
Sunburst

Same problem here. The on-board sound solution is not good at all. The problem you are describing became slightly better with the new drivers from C-Media.
Old 03-14-2003, 10:21 AM   #7
wildboar

[future Picture placeholder of wildboar taking P4S8X and smashing the bejebus out of the expensive piece of crap and shouting expletives about Asus...]

- Albert Einstein
Old 03-14-2003, 10:28 AM   #8
Sunburst

Quote:
Originally posted by wildboar
[future Picture placeholder of wildboar taking P4S8X and smashing the bejebus out of the expensive piece of crap and shouting expletives about Asus...]
I am past that stage, I just try to survive...
Old 03-14-2003, 09:38 PM   #9
borodar
Resigned

Quote:

Old 03-14-2003, 10:31 PM   #10
wildboar

Borodar,

Pushed machine up to 2.55 on a FSB and voltage bump. Played with it for a bit and then set it back. Will wait to see if 1005 ever goes final before I try and lock anything in...

PS. The sound is still there. Have all current drivers. Have no clue what is causing it. Fairly convincved that c-media is got an EMI problem at hi volume..

- Albert Einstein
Old 03-15-2003, 01:19 AM   #11
borodar
Resigned

i have never experienced nor read about this issue, so i'm going to throw some ideas, just wild guesses.

1. Do u have some special driver for this mouse installed? c where i'm going?

2. i really doubt this will help, but maybe... asus tech support?

3. u said u were going to try old PS/2 Scroll Mouse - what happened?

4. what is this Linksey KVM? i c u connect monitor and mouse to it... nevermind, found it. Linksys... i guess it is just an extender? But u tried without it anyway... hm... strike-out numero 4.

5. let's talk speakers. Another dull idea - shielding. How about trying to move speakers away from the monitor? IF they r close by, ofcourse...

6. and the last one of idea-throwing session is ... microphone. i don't c how it'd have anything to do with scrolling, but i'd try to disconnect it. IF u have one, of course...

Old 03-15-2003, 01:37 AM   #12
pointreyes
The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

Quote:
Dude, you misspelled Asus.

Old 03-15-2003, 01:44 AM   #13
borodar
Resigned

Old 03-18-2003, 08:26 PM   #14
smiley23

Mine does the same thing. It is like a serious power draw. It did it with a 300 Watt power supply and this 500 watt power supply. All of the fans drop in speed when you scroll a window with a mouse and if you grab a window and whip it around a the screen.
Old 03-18-2003, 09:39 PM   #15
wildboar

Borodar
Quote:
1. Do u have some special driver for this mouse installed? c where i'm going?
Standard Intellimouse Driver / Software ala Microsoft...

Quote:
2. i really doubt this will help, but maybe... asus tech support?
LOL...I'll do that right after I have my dentist pull all my teeth for fun ;-)

Quote:
3. u said u were going to try old PS/2 Scroll Mouse - what happened?
...This wasn't done yet as kiddies were too busy playing internet games to let Daddy steal their mouse...;-)

Quote:
4. what is this Linksey KVM? i c u connect monitor and mouse to it... nevermind, found it. Linksys... i guess it is just an extender? But u tried without it anyway... hm... strike-out numero 4.
Quote:
5. let's talk speakers. Another dull idea - shielding. How about trying to move speakers away from the monitor? IF they r close by, ofcourse...
This might be interesting to test out...will try it this weekend when I get back in front of machine...

Quote:
6. and the last one of idea-throwing session is ... microphone. i don't c how it'd have anything to do with scrolling, but i'd try to disconnect it. IF u have one, of course... [/B]
Dont currently have one.. attached

Thanks for the feedback will be interested in checking the speaker one out...

- Albert Einstein