ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 04-13-2004, 08:36 AM   #1
alexander_abx
Busy Bee

Looking For A Good Message Board

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a good message board for my website. Currently I use phpBB, however I am having problems with some of its features, such as the notification when someone replies to a thread, so I was wondering if anyone knows of a similar board that I could use and configure, but would work better.

Cheers!
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 04-13-2004, 08:38 AM   #2
FB

vB?

Old 04-13-2004, 08:47 AM   #3
alexander_abx
Busy Bee

Quote:
Originally posted by FB -|-+
vB?
vBulletin is good, however I don't believe its free.

I don't wanna pay for a messageboard.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:58 AM   #4
KingTermite
The Shade of Lazarus

Quote:
Originally posted by alexander
vBulletin is good, however I don't believe its free.

I don't wanna pay for a messageboard.
Should have stated that.

I don't know if there are any free ones better than phpBB.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bye Bye ABXZone.....Rest In Peace.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:57 AM   #5
PyreFly

KT's pretty much right. It's slim pickin's if you wanna stick with php. You have the option of going for asp but I'm no expert there.

However, phpBB has one neat thing going for it. It's open source. Grab yourself a book on php and get hackin' From what I remember, it's not a very complicated source and you should be able to do pretty much anything you want to it if you want a side project.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:54 AM   #6
Protoplasm72
Mmmm..... Folding@Home

I think yabb is pretty good. http://www.yabbforum.com/

"Friends, Family, Religion... These are the three demons you must slay in order to succeed in business" C.M. Burns
Old 07-28-2009, 09:45 AM   #7
Parfait

Re: Looking For A Good Message Board

Your best and easiest option would be to use a free forum provider. You could try Forumotion.com. They provide free IPB 1.3 and phpBB hosting with unlimited storage and unlimited bandwidth.

I have had experience with them and I think they are pretty good as there are a quite a lot of skins and modifications available and so on.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:15 AM   #8
Maico Shark

What's the catch? I'm about to plunk down several hundred for a vB forum installed by vB & hosted by Yahoo. Can you give me a link to a site using the free IPB 1.3 & hosted by Forumotion?
Old 07-28-2009, 11:45 AM   #9
ctal
Eschews Obfuscation

Considering that he was a new member responding to a five year old thread, I have a feeling that his recommendation may not be entirely, um, objective.

Regards,
-- Al
Old 07-28-2009, 12:11 PM   #10
Maico Shark

Possibly but I have no problem with people responding to old threads (why I oppose closing them) Anyway I have this site that is kind of a crusade fathersagainstdrugdealers.com Blog and I'm ready to spend a few bucks upgrading so I'm hoping this fellow actually has a viable alternative to vB.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:07 PM   #11
ctal
Eschews Obfuscation

Rick (Maico) -- You may want to consider Lunarpages as your hosting provider (Affordable Web Hosting at Lunarpages), and either phpBB or SMF (Simple Machines Forum, Home of SMF: Free PHP and MySQL forum software) as your forum software.

I know Lunarpages to be an excellent hosting service, with very good customer support, and offering, among numerous plan alternatives, one costing only $4.95 per month for unlimited storage and unlimited bandwidth, if you sign up for 5 years. You can use either phpBB or SMF with it at no extra cost.

I'm not particularly knowledgeable about forum software, but I did have some brief exposure to SMF a few years ago. It was simple to use; it seemed to offer reasonably good functionality; and it is open source and free.

Hope that helps,

-- Al

Edit: I haven't looked lately, but I believe that to get the $4.95/mo. rate you have to pay in advance for the entire 5 years (which would be $297).

Last edited by ctal; 07-28-2009 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: Added additional info
Old 07-29-2009, 04:30 PM   #12
wonderwrench
ABXpert

I like Invisionfree free forums myself. IMO its the easiest free forum to configure. Set one up and see for your self.
InvisionFree (Free message board hosting)

BTW I agree Vbulletin is one of the best if not the best payed forum software.
Main Box*i7 930 @ 3.5 Ghz*Corsair H60*GA X58A-UD3R R2 FB bios*3x4 gig Patriot DDR3 1600 EL*EVGA GTX 460 1 gig*Intel X25-M G2 80 gig*WD Green WD20EARS 2 TB*ASUS DRW-24B3LT*Samsung SH-S223L*Corsair AX750 PSU*Rosewill Challenger case*Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1

HTPC*Intel Q6600*MSI P35 Neo2-FR*4x2 gig Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800*AX5670 1GBD5-NS3H*WD Blue 320 gig*Samsung HD321KA 320 gig*Lite-On iHES208-08 BR combo drive* Corsair CMPSU-400CX*Win 7 pro 64 bit SP1

Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:45 AM   #13
Parfait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maico Shark View Post
What's the catch? I'm about to plunk down several hundred for a vB forum installed by vB & hosted by Yahoo. Can you give me a link to a site using the free IPB 1.3 & hosted by Forumotion?
You can check out this one from Forumotion :
testjalcss.7forum.net

It's under PunBB!
Old 08-05-2009, 10:19 AM   #14
WolfSoul

Ive been satisfied with PHPBB.. Ive tried YaBB before it's ok but I think it's no php and uses no sql.. and I have a SQL so
Don't know anything about SMF

As for site... I have a free site of 1 GB but that came with my internet so that won't do any good (it's neat tho because all I had to do is a SQL and that was really cheap and I got 1000 MB to work with) I do have problems getting some parts of my site working tho.. my CGi scripts aren't 100 % doing the right job.. and some of my scripts ask for imag magick which I have no clue how to install on my site

PS it's an European ISP
LG BH10LS38 BluRay Burner - Plextor PX-L890SA DVD Burner
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Champion - Gigabyte GTX 670 WF OC 2GB
Dell U2412M - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround System - Creative Tactic3D Wrath
Logitech G19 Gaming keyboard - Logitech G9X laser Gaming Mouse