ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 05-15-2004, 09:48 AM   #1
grsamf

Enermax EG651P-VE(FMA) PSU and CS-10181-B Case

I am getting ready to put together a second computer using a lot of left over components from upgrades, etc. I need to get a case and power supply and am thinking of using my current Antec 1080AMG with its 430W PSU for the second computer and using the new ones for my current main rig. I had considered the Antec PlusView (the same case I have, essentially, w/o a power supply). After doing a lot of reading here and elsewhere, I have come to the conclusion that the Enermax PSU looks like a better choice than the Antec 550, primarily because of the higher rail amps. The case has some things I like also, the biggest advantage being the 8 3.5" drive bays. I have six HDDs and, dinosaur that I am, like having a floppy, so I have one HDD mounted in a 5.25" bay. Some of the extra little features (clips on the drive bays to hold wires, e.g.) also appeal to me. The side mounting of the internal drive bays looks like it makes installation easier, but I saw a review somewhere that I can't seem to find again that said this restricted the front air intake.

I would like to hear any comments from anyone who has any thoughts on the Enermax PSU and case.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 05-15-2004, 10:13 AM   #2
Wingit
Palm Rat

The PSU is a winner in my book (See sig, lol)...it actually is the first power supply (out of MANY) that I have used that gives me the solid rails I wanted ....not the quietest PSU, but not the noisiest either. If I were you though , I might be looking at the Lian-Li PC-75 case (can be obtained with a side window if you like)....plenty of space and a good looker as well. The PC-76 in my sig may be out of production and is a tribute to excessive overkill, but if you want a case the size of a doghouse for all those drives (and complete ease of use) you might look for one, although I truly believe the PC-75 is more than adequate. Good luck whatever your decision!

BTW...got my Enermax as a custom sleeved unit from these people (premium price, but WORTH IT!) : http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php
Old 05-15-2004, 10:17 AM   #3
Archilochus
THE FANMAN

From everything I've read the Enermax quality control is about equal to that of Antec...I won't buy Antec anymore, so I would personaly give Enermax a shot..
THE FANMAN
Old 05-16-2004, 04:22 PM   #4
grsamf

It looks like the Enermax PSU will be the choice. Wingit--I have been checking out the Lian-Li PC-75. I know it's a great case, but I think I would rather spend on other things. Unless I hear or see to cinvince me otherwise in the next day or so, I think I will go with the Enermax case, too.

Thanks for the replies. guys.
Old 05-16-2004, 05:19 PM   #5
nartac

wise decision, grasshopper. LOL. I was an Antec fan until I got my Enermax. Voltages of all rails are mostly above the preset voltage and even if it goes under, it's only by .02 volts. My prior Antec had +12V rail going down as low as 11.86 at times. The Enermax never does. Lowest I have seen so far is 11.98 even with me overclocking, tons of fans, 5 HDD, DVD-rom and DVD-writer. Don't think I even sweat it yet.

Last edited by nartac; 05-16-2004 at 05:30 PM..