ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 06-11-2004, 07:35 PM   #1
nowareman
ABXpert

Exclamation Internet Explorer holes causing alarm

Source: InfoWorld
"Four new holes have been discovered in the Internet Explorer (IE) Web browser that could allow malicious hackers to run attack code on Windows systems, even if those systems have installed the latest software patches from the Redmond, Washington company, security experts warn."
[Original Story]
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 06-12-2004, 11:04 AM   #2
PCBruiser

Yawn, just another reason to go with FireFox. I seriously doubt they are ever going to be able to close all the holes in this enormous bloatware without a bottoms up rewrite of the entire proggy.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:26 PM   #3
Cobra_abx
Venomous Heathen

The programs that get used the most, are exploited the most.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:58 PM   #4
PCBruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
The programs that get used the most, are exploited the most.
How true. But, I wonder how many would use IE if it wasn't forced on them, and they had practical alternatives? And, if they understood the issues that it has? I haven't seen MS issue a formal press release stating that they are recalling IE because it is fundimentally potentially harmful to systems, have you? Yes, specialized and often cryptic security bulletins, those they do issue. The problems in IE are historical, it is an old design, and hasn't really ever been redone from one end to the other. Maybe SP2 will solve all problems, but I doubt it.

Now, if MS would open the OS to include other browser alternatives, and allow Windows Update to run using other browsers, I would bet you that many would quickly migrate away from it. Most everyone who has tried FireFox agrees that is faster, better designed, easier to use and more user friendly than IE. Or Opera, another fine browser alternative.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:38 PM   #5
grsamf

I would guess that the majority of users don't realize they have any alternative to IE. I have been using FireFox for a while now, and like it more all the time. The only reason I have IE is for the Windows updates. Otherwise I would disable/uninstall/delete/firebomb it.