ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 06-24-2004, 05:25 PM   #1
FM1382

System down, need to find a solution . . .

Intel D845EPBT2; Windows XP Pro: My system has been up and running smoothly for more than a year. I moved the computer from one location to another. Powered up; worked fine. Until recently.

On boot up, it asks if I want to open in Safe Mode or open Windows naturally. Neither works. When I select Safe Mode, it begins looking at the drivers but then stops and doesn't move past that page. When I select open Windows normally, the screen with Windows XP comes on the screen, but it's dimly lit (not as bright as it normally is) and it hangs on that page.

I go into BIOS, but nothing seems wrong there.

I bought another hard drive and am trying to load Windows XP on it just to get the machine up and running. But, for some reason, it starts loading the OS but never finishes.

Is this a problem with the Intel board?

Any help VERY MUCH appreciated (I have to check this message board from work; will check back tomorrow)...
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 06-24-2004, 05:28 PM   #2
PCBruiser

How old is your power supply? If you have a CompUSA near you get an ATX Power Supply Tester - it will cost you $20, and test your PSU - that could be your problem. Here's a link:

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...9262&pfp=srch1
Old 06-24-2004, 05:31 PM   #3
Tapir
Wisdom Will Always Linger

an identical problem to this (almost verbatim) was posted just a few days ago. If I find it I will post you the link. However why not try removing all components and resetting them (like mem, video card modem etc. Check that your fan and cpu are firmly in place. Moving around can cause problems not right away but a little while after.

Have a look at your psu - test for correct voltage.
You need to have the right question to obtain the right answer.
**************************************************************************************************** ********************************************************************************
The greatest right any nation can afford its people is the right to be left alone.
**************************************************************************************************** ********************************************************************************
INTEL DP55WB, INTEL CORE i3 2.93, 2X2 G MARK VISION DDR 3, SAMSUNG 250G, NVIDIA S7200, MOTOROLA SB5100 CABLE MODEM, X TECH OPTICAL MOUSE, AIR COOLED - 3 FANS,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-24-2004, 05:32 PM   #4
FM1382

Only a year old -- bought it same time as the board. It's an Enermax, if I recall and powerful enough to run the system with power to boot.

I haven't added any software or hardware when this problem occurred. I tried pulling the memory, one bank at a time, to see if that's the problem -- didn't help.

Using a Matrox video card (don't remember the make/model). But, again, no hardware or software changes were made.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:34 PM   #5
FM1382

Tapir:

If you can find that post you were referring to, I'd be eternally grateful.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:44 PM   #6
Tapir
Wisdom Will Always Linger

Leaving for home now. Should be on back in 2 hours. But I'm sure someone will provide more options by then.

Not being able to enter safe mode sounds like OS problems.

PCB might remember we asked the person to check his connections pins etc...
I think it was yesterday or the day before. Will get back to you.
You need to have the right question to obtain the right answer.
The greatest right any nation can afford its people is the right to be left alone.
INTEL DP55WB, INTEL CORE i3 2.93, 2X2 G MARK VISION DDR 3, SAMSUNG 250G, NVIDIA S7200, MOTOROLA SB5100 CABLE MODEM, X TECH OPTICAL MOUSE, AIR COOLED - 3 FANS,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-24-2004, 05:52 PM   #7
PCBruiser

It's the power fade in the signal to the monitor, and the fact that he can't actually do a new reinstall that make me suspect the PSU may not be putting out enough juice, although a bad connection of either of the power connectors to the MB could do that also.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:53 PM   #8
zff4
Unregistered User

had a similar prob at work this week, exact "safe mode" issue (without the display issue). turned out that the hdd ribbon cable was slightly loose. Jiggering it out and reseating it fixed it. Be sure to check both ends (at the HDD and the mobo).
Old 06-25-2004, 09:27 AM   #9
Bofinn
I'm gettin' dizzy!

and re-seat your video and any other cards you have.

When in doubt, smack it!
Old 06-25-2004, 10:15 AM   #10
FM1382

Okay, making a little progress, but still have a problem.

I formatted a new harddrive (ATA), loaded Windows XP and powered up the computer. Everything is fine. I hook up my two other ATA drives and can now view them with Windows Explorer.

The problem I'm having now is with my two SATA drives. Until these problems started, I was booting from the SATA drive. After moving the computer (believe me, I am very careful with my machine), the SATA drive booted perfectly for a couple of times . . . and then my problems started.

Now, when booting up from my new ATA drive (with the SATA drives connected, and SATA BOOT disabled in BIOS), I cannot view the drives via Windows Explorer. Which leads me to believe something must have happened to my SATA connections on the motherboard.

Any ideas?
Old 06-25-2004, 11:09 AM   #11
zff4
Unregistered User

- dble check the SATA power cables (I know, I know I just had to say it)

- install drivers for the SATA HDD's?

- does the bios recognize the drive? (if not, do you have a bios that does plug and play?

- after drivers are installed go to Start, Control Panel, open the System icon, choose the Hardware tab, and click the Device Manager button. What does it say? look at the entry for the SATA controller, go to properties and troubleshoot (if you see a yellow exclamation).
Old 06-25-2004, 11:20 AM   #12
FM1382

I checked the cables, they're solid and well-connected.

I'll recheck the BIOS to see if the SATA drives are recognized; previously, when I was having all these problems trying to boot directly from the drive, the BIOS did recognize the drive -- hmmmm. I guess that means the SATA connections are good?

I'll try loading the SATA drivers (dumb question: they are Maxtor drives -- where do I find the SATA drivers? Are they something that I download from MAxtor or from Intel?)
Old 06-25-2004, 12:48 PM   #13
zff4
Unregistered User

gotta go to the manufacturer for the drivers if your OS doesn't have the vanilla ones for this drive. If its Maxtor, there are some Maxtor utilities there at the site probably, and installation guides and common problem fixes. And if your OS is old, you may have to do some tweaks to get it to recognize large drives - that'll be on the site also....
Old 06-25-2004, 12:57 PM   #14
PCBruiser

Use the Intel drivers for your motherboard from here:

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...l&submit=Go%21