ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 08-06-2004, 05:05 AM   #1
moriarty
Aircraft/sim nerd

Replace motherboard, what about Windows?

I will replace my broken 8NKNXP. Fine. What about my XP install. Will it work just to replace the motherboard, or do I have to do a reinstall of XP before even trying to boot with a new mobo?

The new mobo is of a different brand than the old one.

I guess it's a bad idea trying to boot a with a new mobo since it's a rather fundamental piece of hardware in a computer?
... and hopeful for a change?

Crap.

---
ASUS P4C800-E Dlx BIOS 1016, Antec 1080 AMG w. TruePower 430, P4 3.0C, 2xCMX512A/3500, 2x160GB+1x300GB+1x300GB USB, XFX GeForce 7800GS EE, SyncMaster 913N TFT, XP SP2
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 08-06-2004, 06:01 AM   #2
Pasch

I used to have win98 on my old pentium II 350 mhz, I then replaced the mobo, CPU, RAM and videocard with new ones and win98 just booted without problems! All I had to do was install new drivers. Now I have never tried it with XP but my guess is it'll probably work. So I say it's worth to just try. You should clean up old drivers before installing new ones I think, because otherwise remains of old drivers may be left on your harddisk, which won't be a problem but isn't very neat though.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:10 AM   #3
Old Git
Approaching fifty way too

Is is the same chipset ? , if so you may get away with it
Old 08-06-2004, 06:14 AM   #4
DeMenAce
GOD is LOVE

IF it doesn't boot up, just use the install disk and look for the repair option. It is further along the install, not near the front. It will remove all the old files and replace them with new files, then you will have to do your updates after you get into windows. You may have to call "uncle bill".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:17 AM   #5
Old Git
Approaching fifty way too

Aye A"billogram" will surely be needed
Old 08-06-2004, 06:23 AM   #6
garnet_abx
SEXpert

As said, if it's the same chipset you may have no issues. I take it since your old mobo is "broken" it won't start up?? If it will start up, go into Device Manager and remove everything you can and then shutdown, replace the mobo then reboot. Windows should install all new drivers for the devices. If it won't start up then after installing the new mobo run a repair install of windows. Repair install This will allow you to keep all your data and give you a fresh install of the operating system. You will have to use windows update to reinstall all the updates again.

EDIT: I guess I was slow typing this

Compare -
;

Folding will help save lives.........................maybe your own!
Old 08-06-2004, 06:31 AM   #7
moriarty
Aircraft/sim nerd

It's the same chipset, 875. The old one is very much broken, it won't even post

However, I'm thinking of doing a complete reinstall since I have ordered a second harddisk along with the new motherboard (i ended up ordering a P4C800-E deluxe). The possibility to boot without reinstall could come in handy though, that's why I'm wondering.

Crap.

---
ASUS P4C800-E Dlx BIOS 1016, Antec 1080 AMG w. TruePower 430, P4 3.0C, 2xCMX512A/3500, 2x160GB+1x300GB+1x300GB USB, XFX GeForce 7800GS EE, SyncMaster 913N TFT, XP SP2
Old 08-06-2004, 07:29 AM   #8
yamawho
Linux user

There have been other threads on this subject in the past year which I started

If you have the same chipset on the mobo it may very well work.
However, if your version of windows requires activation, you will lose 1 vote for the mobo change and may lose 3 votes for the NIC if it's included on the mobo. Since you need 7 of 10 votes to boot into windows, at this point you might need to call uncle Bill.

Why don't you try it ?

Whats the worst that will happen ... post back and tell us how it went :wave2:

Old 08-06-2004, 07:38 AM   #9
BoWevil
Non-expert

I had to replace a mobo with another brand having the same chipset. I did a clean install but I had to call MS to activate the OS.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:46 AM   #10
moriarty
Aircraft/sim nerd

I'm unfamiliar with this voting process...

Crap.

---
Old 08-06-2004, 08:25 AM   #11
grsamf

Each time you boot up, Windows compares your current hardware with what you had when XP was activated. The "votes" yamawho is talking about just mean that some hardware changes affect the process, so too many hardware changes will require reactivation and sometimes a call to Microsoft. Some changes (MB, CPU, etc.) count more than others.

I first installed my current copy of XP on a P4PE with a 3.06 processor. The processor crapped out (maybe because of what I did to it). Rather than just replace it with the same thing, I got a P4C800-E DLX MB and a 3.2 processor. Also replaced 2700 memory with 3200. With a clean install, I had to phone MS and talk to a living person. I told them exactly what I did and they gave me an activation number with no problem. They did ask if this was the only computer this copy of XP was installed on.

Then I decided to put together a second PC. A lot of things went into the process, but I eventually got another P4C800-E DLX MB. I also got a 3.4G processor. By this time I had also added 74G Raptors with the OS on them. I wound up using the new MB and CPU along with new 3500 memory with the Raptors in my current machine. When I booted, it said I had to call MS before I could use it. Phoned them and this time, their computer gave me the activation number. Both times, the process took less than 5 minutes.

The only hardware I have left from when I first installed XP is the video and sound cards.

Too late to make a long story short, , but I agree that the best thing is try it and see what happens. With the same chipset, there shouldn't be a problem.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:57 AM   #12
Bolan

I had a dual xeon on an Asus PC DL Deluxe 875 chipset. I decided that the performance of a dual xeon 533 fsb wasn't what I hoped for. I then bought my current mobo, a P4C 800E Deluxe, also an 875 chipset.

Aside from the ram, mobo and of course, processor, everything stayed the same.

Not only did it boot clean, I didn't even need to reregister it. What I did do, was go into device manager, view, show hidden devices and just uninstall everything still associated with the PC DL. Since you're going to the same mobo, you may not even have to do that. You will need to reinstall the motherboard drivers and such.

If I had no problems with windows, I seriously doubt you will either.

Good Luck
Old 08-06-2004, 01:07 PM   #13
evilnickwong

I went from a fried P4P800 to a P4P800-E Deluxe and since both boards are pretty much identical, (use the same Intel INF driver) all I had to do was install the new drivers for LAN and onboard audio.

However, I still formatted and reinstalled the next day.
Lian-Li PC-61 Plus, Scythe Ninja, TR NB-1, Fatal1ty FS-V7
Old 08-06-2004, 04:55 PM   #14
wallijonn
PHX

You guys "called" MS? I just re-registered online.

I usually like to do a clean install. There's no way I would want VIA drivers anywhere in an Intel board, especially agpgart. A clean install will trim the registry.
Old 08-07-2004, 07:13 AM   #15
grsamf

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallijonn
You guys "called" MS? I just re-registered online.

I usually like to do a clean install. There's no way I would want VIA drivers anywhere in an Intel board, especially agpgart. A clean install will trim the registry.
If hardware changes go past a certain point or if there are enough reinstalls and reactivations, you aren't able to activate online and have to call MS.