ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 01-17-2005, 04:29 PM   #1
Fraoch
Resident ABX Wizard

Thunderbird help/info thread

I thought there would be a thread similar to the Firefox help/info thread, but there isn't, so I'll start one.

To start off, I just found a fantastic feature of the address book I've never noticed before. Open your address book and highlight a name. If you've completed the snail-mail address info, you will have a "Get Map" button at the lower right-hand corner of your screen. Poof, it creates a MapQuest map using the data!

That's so cool, I could play with it all day. But make sure to enter the country name if it's outside of the U.S.

Another point - you can create multiple address books by File - New - Address Book...

A final tip that should help someone - I'm trying to import the address book into OpenOffice. The best way to do this is to select your desired address book, then select Tools - Export. Name the file and select "Files of Type" "Comma Separated (*.csv)".

Importing the file into OpenOffice is the subject for another thread, but suffice it to say import it into Calc first, check it over, resave it as .CSV THEN import it as a text database - otherwise you may have wacky results.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 01-17-2005, 04:37 PM   #2
PCBruiser

Now a sticky just like the FireFox thread since so many members have migrated to T'bird as well.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:11 PM   #3
Fraoch
Resident ABX Wizard

Beauty - hopefully others contribute!

It is with a sense of pride that I let you guys know - this is my first sticky!

BTW if you haven't migrated to Thunderbird, now is the time. There have been lots of improvements over previous versions. The major issue I had with TB 0.8 (major system slowdown when trying to display attachments) was solved with 0.9.

I understand a lot of people don't like the address book, but it has gotten better, and will get even better (equivalent to Outlook, not merely Outlook Express) with the upcoming "Lightning" release.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:44 PM   #4
Fraoch
Resident ABX Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_white_wolf
Running Firefox 1.0 and just installed Thunderbird 1.0

Startup Thunderbird, selected Help, Thunderbird Help.

Firefox opens up to Thunderbird Help page.

Click on the Home link, and Firefox crashes.

Is it just me or ?
?

Works fine here? Page doesn't change though, as that's the Home page.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:00 PM   #5
JaGWiRE_abx

Well, just an added comment. I also began using it, I absolutely love it! All these great features, sigs, easy to setup gmail accounts or hotmail accounts in it. Such a great program . I'm loving this. You can even add your own signature i beleive.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:53 PM   #6
moregolf

Thunderbird Q Please

Why, when I set up an account in TB, can't I send a msg to myself. And yet it works in OE.... Of course it's a problem of the inept of myself. I can't seem to get the rec email portion set up correctly. ANy help would be appreciated. I really want to use TB instead of OE. Thanks again.

Last edited by moregolf; 01-19-2005 at 09:39 AM..
Old 01-17-2005, 06:55 PM   #7
PCBruiser

Prior post merged into the T'bird thread.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:02 PM   #8
Glorfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaGWiRe
Well, just an added comment. I also began using it, I absolutely love it! All these great features, sigs, easy to setup gmail accounts or hotmail accounts in it. Such a great program . I'm loving this. You can even add your own signature i beleive.
Hmmm... I can't get it to set up with hotmail HTTP account - this puts me off, although I do like the setup.
2XLeadtek 6800 GT
OCZ 600 PSU
Prometeia Mach II
Old 01-17-2005, 09:28 PM   #9
Fraoch
Resident ABX Wizard

Quote:
You can even add your own signature i beleive.
...customized for each account, yet!
Old 01-18-2005, 09:06 PM   #10
JaGWiRE_abx

You need a program like hotmail pop ( i got a old version ), something that can make hotmail compatitable with pop3 like that did.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:20 PM   #11
Fraoch
Resident ABX Wizard

Found a bug

Whoopsie - I found a bug.

It's kind of stupid, but it can happen from time to time. I tried responding to an e-mail where there was a To: and several Cc:s. I only wanted to send it to a CC'ed person, so I deleted everything but that name, forgetting that it was a Cc: and not a To:

Let's just say TB doesn't like this (no one in the To: field but someone in a Cc: field), but doesn't let you know about it. Instead it no longer accepts your server password and asks for it again. (?)

Easily solved by putting the name in a To:, but a rather inelegant way to let you know you did something wrong.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:21 PM   #12
jqwhite

ahh

I see that this thread has been posted. I am sure that this question has been asked already but I would like to have T-bird work with my Yahoo.com account. When when I set it up it doesn't. It looks for my new mail but then timesout. I have walked through several FAQ and Walkthoughs and cannot figure out why. Is there something I am missing??? How do I get it to work?
P4 3.2C Northwood/225 fsb@3.6/ 1:1/IC7-Max3 1.5v Bios/Corsair xms 1024-pc3200c2pt/3-8-3-3/2 sata 120g Seagate Bara/ICH5R Cont. Raid O/Antec trueblue 480/Aerogate II cont & Aero4.0 heatsink/Lite-on 52x32x52x16/Lite-on 8xdvd-r/Radeon 9800xt 256/SB Audigy 24bit ZX Plat2/Windows XP Pro SP2 RC2/All in a Wave Master Case-Silver
3D01:21299, 3D03:7613, 3D05:3325, PC04:5675 AM03:56,121

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:22 PM   #13
JaGWiRE_abx

Intresting Fraoch. If you selected auto passwords for accounts and then manually changed em later with lets say gmail or whatever, how would you go upon changing them in thunderbird if it already is automatically using the other password?
Old 02-03-2005, 01:31 PM   #14
Fraoch
Resident ABX Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqwhite
I see that this thread has been posted. I am sure that this question has been asked already but I would like to have T-bird work with my Yahoo.com account. When when I set it up it doesn't. It looks for my new mail but then timesout. I have walked through several FAQ and Walkthoughs and cannot figure out why. Is there something I am missing??? How do I get it to work?
Do you use YahooPOPs? You need something like it to serve as a Yahoo! POP3 server.

It's fairly easy to configure once you get it, let me know when you have it and I'll walk you through its settings and TB's settings.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:34 PM   #15
Fraoch
Resident ABX Wizard

Quote:
Intresting Fraoch. If you selected auto passwords for accounts and then manually changed em later with lets say gmail or whatever, how would you go upon changing them in thunderbird if it already is automatically using the other password?
Tools - Options - Advanced - View Saved Passwords - highlight the one you want - Remove.

The next time you log in it will ask you for the password and you'll also have a check box to have TB remember the password and never ask you for it again.

BTW regarding that bug, it turns out it wipes out your password completely.