ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 02-07-2005, 05:02 PM   #31
Griff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraoch
Which panel?

Could you take a screenshot?
I figured it out and got rid of it. I just installed Firefox and Thunderbird. Time to get rid of IE and Outlook Express.
Arctic Cooling Freezer 13
Mushkin Redline 4x8 32GB DDR 1600 CAS 8
Asus GeForce GTX 660 OC DirectCU 1020MHZ 2GB 6.0GHZ
Samsung 840 EVO SSD For O/S
SilverStone Strider 750W Modular
LG BlueRay Burner
Seagate1TB SATA for Photos
USB 3.0 Hitachi 350 GB for Data
USB 3.0 Seagate Free Go for Back up
Built in Card Read
Win10 Pro
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 02-07-2005, 06:04 PM   #32
Fraoch
Resident ABX Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
I figured it out and got rid of it. I just installed Firefox and Thunderbird. Time to get rid of IE and Outlook Express.
Don't get rid of IE - you need it for Windows Updates and the rare site that insists on doing everything using ActiveX.

For the benefit of the other members, you may wish to provide more info regarding what it was and how you got rid of it though.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:23 PM   #33
Griff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraoch
Don't get rid of IE - you need it for Windows Updates and the rare site that insists on doing everything using ActiveX.

For the benefit of the other members, you may wish to provide more info regarding what it was and how you got rid of it though.
I never uninstalled IE. Just set FireFox as default browser. The setting was show when you have new messages.
Arctic Cooling Freezer 13
Mushkin Redline 4x8 32GB DDR 1600 CAS 8
Asus GeForce GTX 660 OC DirectCU 1020MHZ 2GB 6.0GHZ
Samsung 840 EVO SSD For O/S
SilverStone Strider 750W Modular
LG BlueRay Burner
Seagate1TB SATA for Photos
USB 3.0 Hitachi 350 GB for Data
USB 3.0 Seagate Free Go for Back up
Built in Card Read
Win10 Pro
Old 02-11-2005, 10:37 PM   #34
Boss Hogg

Question about TB before I start using it. Outlook Express allows me to specify to "leave my messages on the ISP's server" until I delete them from my deleted items folder. Does TB have a similar option - or is that how it automatically works? I want it to work that way but can't find any option to be sure it works that way. I'm afraid that when I set it up it's going to download all of my messages off of the ISP's server and I won't be able to access them easily from a different computer then (similar to Outlook Express - they make "download from server" the DEFAULT for some stupid reason...so you gotta remember to uncheck that BEFORE you set up the POP3 account.

Can I do this in TB? Or is that how it automatically works?

Thanks for any help!

*EDIT* - Never mind. Found this option "leave messages on server" in the "Tools, Account Settings" menu!

Last edited by Boss Hogg; 02-11-2005 at 10:48 PM..
Old 02-11-2005, 11:12 PM   #35
Boss Hogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hogg
Question about TB before I start using it. Outlook Express allows me to specify to "leave my messages on the ISP's server" until I delete them from my deleted items folder. Does TB have a similar option - or is that how it automatically works? I want it to work that way but can't find any option to be sure it works that way. I'm afraid that when I set it up it's going to download all of my messages off of the ISP's server and I won't be able to access them easily from a different computer then (similar to Outlook Express - they make "download from server" the DEFAULT for some stupid reason...so you gotta remember to uncheck that BEFORE you set up the POP3 account.

Can I do this in TB? Or is that how it automatically works?

Thanks for any help!

*EDIT* - Never mind. Found this option "leave messages on server" in the "Tools, Account Settings" menu!

EDIT #2 - I TOLD IT TO LEAVE THE MESSAGES ON THE SERVER BUT IT ONLY LEFT THE OLDEST AND NEWEST MESSAGE ON THE SERVER!!! THE REST WERE ALL DOWNLOADED AND REMOVED FROM THE SERVER! What's the???!
Old 02-11-2005, 11:19 PM   #36
Boss Hogg

Well, I figured out what happened at least. For WHATEVER reason, I set it up to leave the messages on the server, and it did (at first). Then I got an email, and it was spam (what a shock). So I told TB to mark that new email as "junk". Then, a few minutes later I got another email, which was also junk. TB then proceeded to automatically move ALL of my messages that were in the Inbox to the "trash", which caused ALL of the messages to be deleted from the server. Now WHY it thought it should move ALL of my messages to the trash is beyond me. Arg! I mark 1 message as junk and it suddenly thinks every message I have is junk?!
Old 02-11-2005, 11:25 PM   #37
Fraoch
Resident ABX Wizard

I think TB's junk filter requires some training before you should put it to use. It has to recognize patterns and will only work after a while.

It's still good that it has a junk filter built in.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:58 AM   #38
Fraoch
Resident ABX Wizard

Article about Thunderbird

Link

That article praises it, but says that CRM (Customer Relationship Management, I think) may be its downfall.

But then, what large corporations use Outlook Express anyway? Most use the full version of Outlook. TB was never intended to take on Outlook, it was intended to compete with Outlook Express.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:14 AM   #39
kcstock
www.kenstock.com

I have been looking around ont he net for a Palm Synch app for thunderbird.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

--Ken
Old 02-27-2005, 03:16 PM   #40
crapbox1014
Big Stupid Jerk

Here is a real easy one for you all...

How do I get Thunderbird, (I have version .6) to load minimized at startup? Right now I have to start it manually and I can't figure out how to have it launch at startup. Looked in the options, can't find it.

Help

MSI K8n Neo Platinum 2/A64 3200+ Venice/BFG 6800 OC/WD Special Ed 120 (8 Mb)/WD 320/2x512 Corsair XMS/LiteOn SOHW-1693S DVD+/-RW/LiteOn LTR52246s CDRW/Winfast 2000 PVR TV tuner/ViewSonic 19" CRT P95f+B/Logitech X-530 Speakers/ Win XP Office Pro/Logitech Cordless MX Duo/Antec 400 watt Soho case/

The Wife's System

Asus p4p800 Delux/P4 2.4c/Radeon 9500 pro/2x512Crucial 3200/LiteOn SOHW-1693S/Cooler Master Centurion 5
Old 02-27-2005, 03:30 PM   #41
Fraoch
Resident ABX Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by crapbox1014
Here is a real easy one for you all...

How do I get Thunderbird, (I have version .6) to load minimized at startup? Right now I have to start it manually and I can't figure out how to have it launch at startup. Looked in the options, can't find it.

Help
For one thing you may want to upgrade to TB 1.0. There have been a lot of bug fixes since 0.6. For example, 0.8 was barely functional on my machine but 1.0 easily replaces OE.

Starting an app when Windows starts up is as easy as placing a shortcut to it in Start - Startup, but to get it to start up minimized? Perhaps there's a command line switch you can specify in the shortcut dialog box?
Old 02-28-2005, 10:29 AM   #42
Fraoch
Resident ABX Wizard

Thunderbird 1.0.1 next week

Link.

Firefox 1.1 and TB 1.1 should be out by mid-year.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:00 PM   #43
crapbox1014
Big Stupid Jerk

Thanks, I'll try it and get the update!

MSI K8n Neo Platinum 2/A64 3200+ Venice/BFG 6800 OC/WD Special Ed 120 (8 Mb)/WD 320/2x512 Corsair XMS/LiteOn SOHW-1693S DVD+/-RW/LiteOn LTR52246s CDRW/Winfast 2000 PVR TV tuner/ViewSonic 19" CRT P95f+B/Logitech X-530 Speakers/ Win XP Office Pro/Logitech Cordless MX Duo/Antec 400 watt Soho case/

The Wife's System

Asus p4p800 Delux/P4 2.4c/Radeon 9500 pro/2x512Crucial 3200/LiteOn SOHW-1693S/Cooler Master Centurion 5
Old 03-12-2005, 04:25 AM   #44
Jliao

Couple of Questions..
How do I turn off the Sending Progress? I don't like seeing that unless I really have to.
Lastly, I'd like to be in Inbox whenever I open TB, where can I set that?

Sorry for all the newbie questions, I JUST started using TB from Outlook.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jliao; 03-12-2005 at 04:42 AM..
Old 03-12-2005, 01:13 PM   #45
Fraoch
Resident ABX Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jliao
Couple of Questions..
How do I turn off the Sending Progress? I don't like seeing that unless I really have to.
Lastly, I'd like to be in Inbox whenever I open TB, where can I set that?

Sorry for all the newbie questions, I JUST started using TB from Outlook.

Thanks
I don't think there's a way to turn off the progress dialog box.

Also when you open TB, you should ordinarily be in the Inbox? Or I think it remembers what folder you were in when you exited? At any rate, I'm always in the Inbox.

BTW I noticed the week came and went with no update.