ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 02-21-2005, 07:07 PM   #1
Moop

Hardware Firewall

I have an old PC in the closet and was thinking of making a firewall out of it. Has anyone ever used SmoothWall ? Would that eliminate the need for a software firewall? It seems like a good use for an old PC and from what I've read, it seems totally secure. Am I missing something?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 02-22-2005, 08:08 AM   #2
PCBruiser

Smoothwall has a decent reputation and several folks here do use it with an old system. Most recently there was a lot of interest in a similar product ClarkConnect - Froach started a big thread on that so you might get some ideas that thread as well. IIRC, some of the other Linux based firewall/router software packages were talked about in that thread as well.

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81209
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 08:13 AM   #3
PCBruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCBruiser
Smoothwall has a decent reputation and several folks here do use it with an old system. Most recently there was a lot of interest in a similar product ClarkConnect - Froach started a big thread on that so you might get some ideas that thread as well. IIRC, some of the other Linux based firewall/router software packages were talked about in that thread as well.

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81209
BTW, I seem to recall some older threads on Smoothwall, you should be able to pick them up doing a thread search, or a post search with Advanced Search using smoothwall as the search term.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:16 AM   #4
maxidius

First thanks to Fraoch's suggestions, I tried ClarkConnect as the Linux-based firewall built with an old spare PC. Then I tried Smoothwall and Astaro. They all are free for home users.

ClarkConnect is the easiest for setting up; next is Smoothwall, which has a bit more details but in general it is almost like ClarkConnect. A more detailed control available for user is Astaro, which may require more dedicated time to learn. There are more free firewalls but those three would be more than enough.

If you don't know, you don't know you don't know, and there is no idea to say that you don't know.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:19 AM   #5
PCBruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxidius
First thanks to Fraoch's suggestions, I tried ClarkConnect as the Linux-based firewall built with an old spare PC. Then I tried Smoothwall and Astaro. They all are free for home users.

ClarkConnect is the easiest for setting up; next is Smoothwall, which has a bit more details but in general it is almost like ClarkConnect. A more detailed control available for user is Astaro, which may require more dedicated time to learn. There are more free firewalls but those three would be more than enough.
maxidius, wold you be interested in writing up your experiences with the three of them as a mini-review comparing them and how well they installed and worked?
Old 02-22-2005, 08:27 AM   #6
Moop

Thanks for the replies. I did do a search on ABXZone for smoothwall but nothing came up. I'll try it again. I'll check out the other thread.
Thanks!
Old 02-22-2005, 08:35 AM   #7
PCBruiser

Try this:

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/search...earchid=624510

I came up with 62 references to smoothwall.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:38 AM   #8
FinFET

I personally love m0nowall http://m0n0.ch/wall/

No Hard Drive needed
Only need a CD-ROM that's bootable and a Floppy disk.

I can take an old machine and have it up and running as a Firewall in less then 2 mins.

It came in super handy for me, as I wanted a Free Firewall solution that would allow me to protect a Web Server, DNS and Mail Server all behind it with only 2 NIC's. It supports multiple IP's on one NIC, which other solutions may offer, but I found it's method considerably better then smoothwall, which requires a hack or a move up to the Corporate version.

Check it out, it's like 6 megs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.