ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 04-15-2005, 02:38 PM   #1
Ozzie
CRS Designee

Suggestion thread for our folding team!!

Ok fellow folders...we need to get our team happy and generate some interest and fun for our folding buds.
I have read a couple ideas about drawings and some sort of recognition and the like, so it sounds like members are ready for something new and different.
If you have any ideas, let's put them here in this thread and we'll put something together.
I have already agreed to administer some type of a hardware drawing contest if that's what you guys want...submit away!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Change is the only constant in life

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 04-15-2005, 03:44 PM   #2
crazer

Ok, fellow folders, as you know by my post in the other thread I am for the drawing contest Ozzie mentioned above. Here is a cut and paste of it just in case some of you may have missed it:

This is one idea I had. Maybe if the current folders donated just a couple of dollars into a pool....(100 folders give just 3-5 bucks each = 300-500 bucks) Then have someone be the designated controller (ozzie maybe )
Take the money and buy some lastest greatest computer part (video card, cpu...or whatever) Put everyone's name into the pot and draw a name. The drawing would be every three months and you have to be an active folder for the 3 months.
I know some would say that they wouldn't want to donate money to something like this. But, I personally wouldn't mind. What's a couple of bucks every three months. Considering the money we put into our own systems. And hey for a couple of bucks you have the chance to get a new part!
Also, another problem might be trying to draw someone's name. This part of the idea might need some thinking to make sure nobody gets drawn twice. Or to make sure that the drawing is fair.
Anyways this is just an idea that popped into my head. Remember I am Crazer!!!!

If this doesn't sound like it would work for you please help us come up with some more ideas. This is what this thread is for! So don't be shy. I know that there are alot of very creative people here!

So, lets help get Team #1714 climbing the charts again......

Old 04-15-2005, 04:12 PM   #3
Jorrell

The easiest thing to do is of course a folder of the month. Could be drawn among those that recently joined and did x amount of folding or those whose monthly points increased by n%.
Another idea is some cheap but fashionable abx-folding merchandise. Maybe a t-shirt or ball-cap. Might get people enthused, hard to say.

Old 04-15-2005, 04:15 PM   #4
SupDawg

Good news. Let me know what I can do to help. I will contribute money/spare parts/etc.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:19 PM   #5
Ozzie
CRS Designee

Guys...I just wanted you to know I'm headed out for the weekend...

I just wanted to get the ball rolling and will be back to visit this thread Sunday, so keep the ideas coming...

Cabin fever is at an all time high.

Change is the only constant in life

Old 04-15-2005, 07:05 PM   #6
zsaz1029

I just wanna chime in again and voice my support for crazer's idea. I am, of course, open to any other ideas that get more people folding, as well.

-----
"A scar is never the same as good flesh, but it stops the bleeding." -- FitzChivalry Farseer (Assassin's Quest by Robin Hobb)
"Only my pain is more silent than my anger." -- Amber (The Liveship Traders by Robin Hobb)
-----

Old 04-16-2005, 02:54 PM   #7
talbot

I say we search for the missing wendy's chilli finger owner....that will give us $100K to give out mucho prizes each month for top folders....

seriously though I'd be in for crazer's idea of contibuting a few bucks a month to pool for top folder's. tshirts, caps...maybe donations from hw vendors if there's any good contacts?
maybe personal folding stats info on the front page as well?

but how would individual recognition come in when folding for the teams - p4 and athlon? all the stats go to the teams right? or is there a way to pull up individual stats within the teams?

Rig 2:
abit ic7-g | 2.4C @ 225 | Zalman 7000AlCu | ocz 2x512 pc4000 el gold | 4x 120G sata's | antec trueblue 480w
Old 04-16-2005, 03:50 PM   #8
Unit44
Go Speedracer go!

Cool

I've lost some hardware to folding (older MB's and 1 Procs. really not much value) so it would be nice to get some back.... I'm on the buss...

ASUS A7N8XE-D - BIOS 1011 - XP3200 - 1.5GB Corsair 3200 - BFG GeForce 6800OC
3 X WD 80GIG Special Ed - OS = XPPRO WSP2 - Plextor 708A & Lite On CDR @ 52X

Old 04-16-2005, 07:18 PM   #9
crazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbot
I say we search for the missing wendy's chilli finger owner....that will give us $100K to give out mucho prizes each month for top folders....

seriously though I'd be in for crazer's idea of contibuting a few bucks a month to pool for top folder's. tshirts, caps...maybe donations from hw vendors if there's any good contacts?

but how would individual recognition come in when folding for the teams - p4 and athlon? all the stats go to the teams right? or is there a way to pull up individual stats within the teams?

Glad to see some input coming in! Thanks for the replies. In the drawing I wasn't really wanting to award the top folders (not that their efforts aren't deserving of it) but a way to get folders to join. I don't mind if they just have a laptop. As we all know once you get started it is very addicting

Great job guys, lets keep the ideas coming!

Old 04-16-2005, 08:17 PM   #10
zsaz1029

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbot

Perhaps the sub-teams should be disbanded? I don't know how we could factor in the sub-team folders with the idea of the raffle.

-----
"A scar is never the same as good flesh, but it stops the bleeding." -- FitzChivalry Farseer (Assassin's Quest by Robin Hobb)
"Only my pain is more silent than my anger." -- Amber (The Liveship Traders by Robin Hobb)
-----

Old 04-16-2005, 08:45 PM   #11
phalinx
The SilentSentinel

zsar1029

I had the same idea posted in this thread...right above crazer's post.

http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92369

It would make sense having everyone under one team (1714). It would be easier to award "something" to individual folders who have reached certain milestones based on point totals. This is a great site to keep track of current totals:
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...=127879#127879

DeathDealer gave me the link a while ago. I had some other ideas that could work as well. For example, different banners after reaching certain point totals...some sort of giveaway contest...etc....

Crazer has a good idea as well. However, someone should be monitoring all transactions ... monitary, items that are given away, etc by someone here at ABXZone. Most likely a mod....

Just my .02c

Cheers

Phalinx

Old 04-16-2005, 11:20 PM   #12
Protoplasm72
Mmmm..... Folding@Home

I'd buy some abx folding@home t-shirts if the profits went into a fund for giving out prizes to folders. I still have some abxzone t-shirts from when we were selling those.

"Friends, Family, Religion... These are the three demons you must slay in order to succeed in business" C.M. Burns
Old 04-16-2005, 11:25 PM   #13
talbot

yeah your probably right crazier - if it was for the top folders probably be the same folders over and over.
probably better with the raffle - say x amount of wu complete for x amount of entries in the raffle or something

Rig 2:
abit ic7-g | 2.4C @ 225 | Zalman 7000AlCu | ocz 2x512 pc4000 el gold | 4x 120G sata's | antec trueblue 480w
Old 04-16-2005, 11:41 PM   #14
UH60LimaTI
Retired and luv'n it

I'm easy. I will be happy with whatever is decided. I LUV EVERY1 HERE!!!!
(outta my mouth comes a little whisper) Even if they don't fold under Team_P4Power

Abit IC7-G v1.1 Bios 28
P4 3.4E (Game Accelerator Settings= A-A-A-D-D) AGPv=1.65 DDRv=2.9
2 x CORSAIR XMS3202 TWIN X CMX1024-3200C2PRO 1:1 (2-3-3-6) PAT=Enabled (2 GIGS)
XFX 7800 GS Extreme Edition (Nvidia 91.31) 453/1319
Thermalright XP-90C/AS5 Delta 92mm EHE fan
ANTEC 550 NEO HE Power Supply
CoolerMaster ATC-201B-SXT Heavily Modded
IDE 1 (Master)=SEAGATE Barracuda 120gb HD
SATA 1=WD360 Raptor / SATA 2=Hitachi Deskstar 120gb
Plextor 708/A Firmware 1.11
ViewSonic 19"" VX922 2ms LCD
Onboard Realtek Sound= enabled
Onboard LAN= enabled
WinXP Home (Slipstreamed SP2)
Old 04-17-2005, 12:07 AM   #15
crazer

Yes, as Ozzie said in his post he would be in charge of any type of giveaway that we came up with.
There are still some issues to work out. But, I don't think we should disban the subgroups. Maybe have all members of a subgroup stand up and take a bow! But, seriously that is one of the issues to iron out.
I like the idea of folding t-shirts. I want one!