ABXZone Computer  Forums

Old 04-17-2005, 12:32 AM   #16
chuckbam
Personal Advocate

I don't get it, why fold?
Intel i7-4930K (Turbo 4.6 GHz), ASUS P9X79, Corsair Hydro Series H100i, 32GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical (1866 @ 9-9-9-27 T2), EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB (Short Size), Corsair Neutron 256GB SSD, Ceton InfiniTV 4 Quad-tuner, SeaSonic 750W 80 Plus Gold, Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl Case.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 04-17-2005, 12:50 AM   #17
crazer

Its for science. Its also fun to compete in the rankings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:30 AM   #18
FB

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazer
Its for science. Its also fun to compete in the rankings.
i agree, and i like your idea

Old 04-17-2005, 10:30 AM   #19
phalinx
The SilentSentinel

crazer

Start off with something like this:

If and when an individual or subgroup achieves a certain total of points, award the individual or subgroup with an "upgraded" banner...something that is eye catching.

You might have some sort of honor award system inplace when an individual/subgroup has either reached or achieved a large point total for the day, week, month, or year...

It won't matter if you have one machine or twelve. Individuals with slower machines would be better off in a subgroup! The groups would be awarded like an individual or just award thoses individuals in the subgroup who have met certain criteria to be awarded "something" or have the opportuninty to be entered into a drawing.

Folders in the main Abxzone team 1714 are folding individuals, not subteams. It raises the question. How would you go about awarding someone who is in team 1714 and is in a subteam and would have two different name(s) to fold under?....

I think it would be a great challenge/achievement for those that are just getting started folding to meet wu totals and award them for their time and effort.

You would need a performance chart at ABXZone or atleast a sticky somewhere indicating individual/group achievements at cetain wu stages. It would have to be on the front page...Home page of ABXzone...Like a flashing picture or just a corner of the page to show folding achievements/announcemets.

At every 10k - new group or individual banner's, (recognize them on the homepage)..etc....
At every 10k - chance for a drawing (the problem here is that it takes a long time to achieve point totals for some....weeks, months, and even years....)

Cheers

Phalinx

Old 04-17-2005, 10:38 AM   #20
phalinx
The SilentSentinel

Personally, I only have one goal and that's to surpass 100k points and 1000 wu's. Folding for science is the main concern; however, point totals are nice while closing in on the person above you in the rankings!

Cheers,

Phalinx

Old 04-17-2005, 11:31 AM   #21
crazer

Hey Phalinx,
You have some great ideas. Thats what I was wanting out of this thread.
But, I have to admit I am a little disappointed that there hasn't been more ideas or suggestions from the folders we already have. There are over a hundred of us. So, I really do appreciate your ideas and the other ones that have been posted.

I really, really want a folding t-shirt!!!

Old 04-17-2005, 01:30 PM   #22
phalinx
The SilentSentinel

ABXZone's front page needs to change a little. Move the active threads to the middle of the page or to the side. At the top should be current reviews and news. I noticed to the right is a box with our name and pm messages. That's great. Maybe to the right side of the page should be a box with current folders that have met certain wu production/points. Something like:
Congradulations!!!
Flashing box
DeathDealer 30k+

It could be in any format...

Crazer.... I do like the idea of a hat or t-shirt w/ ABZXone's name (logo) and a wu total on it. let say 100k. The idea of donated parts for a raffle might be good, but that might be a problem. Not all parts work with everyone's machines. I don't know about money in general. Remember, there are alot of members from all over the world w/ different currencies....

Cheers

Phalinx

Old 04-19-2005, 05:39 PM   #23
Ozzie
CRS Designee

The front page will be worked on soon...CJ just did a major overhaul with the forum software to provide us with a better package for our members.

As far as any raffle is concerned, we could structure that any way we like. For example - we could set a dollar amount and when we reach it we could purchase and ship the item for the winner. Or we could do it by product...one time we could choose a hard drive, the next something else.
There is always a way to make it work if people want it. I just wouldn't want anyone to feel cheated if we had items of varying values for each go around.

It should be one chance per active folding member though, and also those that are contributing to the raffle, even though many of us have multiple machines I see this as the fair way to do it.

I do have someone I've been talking with about t-shirts again too...
No promises, but we'll see. If anyone else knows of someone it might be a good idea to talk with them and have them contact us.

Change is the only constant in life

Old 04-19-2005, 05:43 PM   #24
Ozzie
CRS Designee

...also...I'm not surprized at the lack of responses so far...it's that time of year for many of us. Really busy and lots of things going on...

Old 04-22-2005, 11:27 PM   #25
phalinx
The SilentSentinel

Ozzie,

I have another idea. It might be a sad reality, but how many people scroll down to the bottom of ABXZone to view The Twilight Zone? Do you think it might be better at the top of the forums page? Maybe somewhere in ABX-Files?

It might go well underneath New Members Zone Forum. New members not savy with the site might be interested in folding if it were more visible. It's just a thought. It might help in generating new interest with new and old members alike.

Cheers

Phalinx

Old 04-23-2005, 05:06 PM   #26
Ozzie
CRS Designee

Thanks for the suggestion phalinx...it sure is worth considering. Newer members may not even realize we are number 16 in the world.
That's a remarkable acheivement in anybodies book.
We did manage to get the folding banner moved on the front page to a more prominent spot...

It does seem like we've been in the doldrums for a while...I remember when we first started the team how excited everyone got because we were moving up the rants daily and building momentum. Now that we've been hanging with the big boys for so long there isn't much movement anymore...and it would take a mountain of new folders to change our course.
This leaves us with trying to create something within the team once again - last time around we did it with subteams and it was a good bit of fun for quite a while.
I also like the idea of a special little banner - 'folding maniac' or something in the user box...some method of recognition.

Old 05-31-2005, 11:34 PM   #27
XJ.

Lightbulb

FWIW....

Some things off the top of my head:

1) Under the "Polls" on the left hand side, maybe we could list the top 20 folders. Maybe a 'newest' folding member could be placed there as well.

2) For everyone that has the "AB Folding@Home Team" maybe we could have a weekly/monthly email, noting some of our successes and including a detailed report of 'that' user's contributions. We could list the top 20 folders/subteams, top 20 WU/Point producers for that period and a list of the newest 20 users. Optionally we could put some sort of 'News' section.

I know this all this would involve scriptings - but people would probably feel a bit more 'connected' as a team.

Edit: typos

Last edited by XJ.; 06-01-2005 at 11:33 AM..
Old 05-31-2005, 11:58 PM   #28
zsaz1029

I think those are both fantastic ideas XJ.

-----
"A scar is never the same as good flesh, but it stops the bleeding." -- FitzChivalry Farseer (Assassin's Quest by Robin Hobb)
"Only my pain is more silent than my anger." -- Amber (The Liveship Traders by Robin Hobb)
-----

Old 06-01-2005, 03:16 AM   #29
SupDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ.
FWIW....

Some things off the top of my head:

1) Under the "Polls" on the left hand side, maybe we could list the top 20 folders. Maybe a 'newest' folding member could be placed there as well.

2) For everyone that has the "AB Folding@Home Team" maybe we could have a weekly/monthly email, noting some of our successes and including a detailed report of 'that' user's contributions. We could list the top 20 folders/subteams, top 20 WU/Points for that periods and a list of the newest 20 users. Optionally we could put some sort of 'News' section.

I know this all this would involve scriptings - but people would probably feel a bit more 'connected' as a team.
Nice to see ya XJ

Also, excellent idea!
Old 06-02-2005, 10:58 PM   #30
XJ.

Thanks guys. One question, where is the FAH banner on the front page - I must be going blind